Sunday, March 23, 2008

Vendai Mor Kuzhambu


I have a funny way of eating my vegetables. I make the regular sabji/poriyal/upperi first, and then I dump yogurt into it, mix, taste and hog away. It makes me feel oh so sanctimonious, :D like I’m doing my tummy a good deed after all the burgers, junk food and unholy crap I feed it ritually.

This one here is different though. It’s meant to be yogurt based. In Kerala they make it without veggies but I like it the ‘Tamil way’ – with cooked Vedakkai (Okra) and onions.

The best part about this dish is that it can be stored for a 3-4 days. It only gets better each day. I’ve decided to re-christen it my Assignment-week curry ;)


You Will Need:

Okra – 150g (or half a packet of frozen okra) cut into one inch pieces
Onions – 1 large, sliced finely
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Dry red chillies – 5, broken into two
Curry leaves - 10
Red chilly powder – 1tsp (or adjust according to your preferred spice level)
Asafoetida powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Yogurt – 2 cups
Oil – 2 tsp

Method Of Preparation:

- Heat oil in a pan (yeah right! Like you didn’t know it already. lol!)
- Add the mustard seeds
- When they begin to pop, add the fenugreek, cumin, red chillies and curry leaves
- Sauté for a few seconds
- Add the onions and fry till the onions turn golden brown
- Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder and asafoetida
- Saute for 2 minutes
- Now, add the cut okra
- Mix well
- Cover and cook till done
- Add the yogurt and mix well (if its too ‘thick’ for your taste you can dilute it by adding a little water)
- Heat on low flame for 3 minutes, stirring continuously
- Switch off and transfer to a serving dish

6 comments:

Gonecase aka. Shutter Singh said...

What's an Okra ?? The picture is great btw, are you the photographer by any chance ??

Macadamia The Nut said...

Okra is Ladysfinger. :D
And yeah, I take the pics

Girl With Big Eyes said...

That looks yummy. Am gonna try that as soon as I get some ladies' fingers.

Btw, the sadist in me also enjoys chopping those ladies' fingers :)

germinal dreamer said...

Hmm thats a neat recipe, may be its worth beingtagged south Indian and I know a good variant of this. fry the spices, along with coriander seeds and some lentils , let it cool and grind them into a paste, boil yogurt and add teh paste. Fry the okra with lil oil and add some spices to it.. then add it to the kozhambhu... make brinjal curry with this and i will owe my life to the person who cooked.. heaven!!!!!!!

Macadamia The Nut said...

@girl with big eyes
LOL!!! Now thats the first i've heard of the pleasures of chopping!

@germinal dreamer
Get ready to owe your life :|
I spare no prisoners :D

Filarial said...

some of us dont even know to heat oil in the pan..:( dont mock us..:|

:D.. been here too.. yataytaya...:D