Thursday, June 19, 2008

Triple Chocolate Caramel Cookie Bars


Etta and Preethi are coming over tomorrow and I’m SUPER excited!!! Yay! Two days isn’t enough :( But, what the hell! I can’t wait to see them again. Sigh!


Preethi is MY kinda person - an unapologetic foodie and fellow chocolate freak. So I made this for her because I know she’s one person who’ll fully appreciate and fully do justice to your cooking no matter what.

Anyway, this is one of the simplest cookies ever. Don’t be scared by the seemingly long process. It’s not so difficult (as long as you remember to stir the caramel continuously till it’s done) and your taste buds will implode with joy with the very first bite :D


Lol!



So, You Will Need


For The Base:


250g all purpose four

½ cup castor sugar

3/4th cup unsalted butter, softened


For The Caramel Filling:


7 tbsp unsalted butter

½ cup light brown sugar (muscovado)

2 * 14oz cans condensed milk


For The Chocolate Topping:


90g semisweet/bitter cooking chocolate

90 g milk chocolate

50g white cooking chocolate



Method Of Preparation


For The Cookie Base:


- Preheat the oven to 350 F

- Line and grease a 13*9 inch baking dish

- Combine the flour and castor sugar in a bowl and work in the butter with your hand, until it looks like fine breadcrumbs

- Put the dough into the tray and press it out with your hand to cover the base

- Smoothen the surface with a spoon and prick holes al over with a fork

- Bake for about 20 minutes and set aside to cool


For The Caramel Filling:


- Combine all the ingredients in a pan and heat on a medium-low flame, stirring all the while until the sugar has dissolved

- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer on a low flame for 10 minute

- Stir constantly and make sure it does not burn

- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture over the cookie base

- Leave it aside until cold


For The Chocolate Topping:


- Melt each chocolate separately in the microwave for 40 seconds (or in a double boiler)

- Spoon lines of plain chocolate alternating with milk chocolate and cover the surface of the caramel filling completely

- Add dollops of white chocolate and use a skewer to form a marbled effect

- Leave it to cool and cut bars once the chocolate has set (if it’s still gooey, refrigerate it till it sets and then cut bars)


*Excuse me for the ridiculous picture :D I was trying to do too many things with one hand*

34 comments:

Scribblers Inc said...

foooooooooooood yaaaaaaaay!!
all I think about is maggi tho...not much creativity there..:(

wishes
Scribblers Inc.

--xh-- said...

i-should-not-come-and-read-this-blog...
argh... me too need chocolates now.. this is teh second post i see abt chocolates...

(btw, aft reading ur post in the other bog, i went and had sizzlers and brownies for lunch... :P )

Anonymous said...

wow slurrrp with water drooling outta mouth ..... am so hungry now

and shutaaaap..the pic you have taken is so mast. i mean the angle.tht made the cookies more yummy !!!

Rainman said...

As always, looks delicious! :D Perhaps I will try this recipe one of these days! ;-)

mathew said...

das perfekte..;-)
WIth a lump of vanilla ice cream perhaps...

Macadamia The Nut said...

@scribblers inc
Lol! Omg, I hate Maggie. But that's because I overdosed on it some time back :D

@--xh--
Lol! I'm glad I 'inspire'
;)

@geet
Thanks :D But I was talking about that tiny monstrosity towards the bottom of the page
;)

Macadamia The Nut said...

@brat
Heh heh! I won't hold my breath Brat

@mathew
Thank you Mathew! Thank you babblefish
:D :D
Hmmm, interesting.. I'll try it tomorrow
:O What's WRONG with me!??
I'll go try it NOW. :D There's enough icecream here to feed a mini battalion anyway

Deepti said...

WOwww.... ok even a non chocoholic like me wants to have a bite :)

Macadamia The Nut said...

@deepti
Lol! Thanks ;)

Safari Al said...

You cook as well???!!!!?????!!!!

*Eyes pop out*

How awesome is that?

*Damn!! Can't find my eye-balls*

Anonymous said...

ummmm, I no longer wonder why I am overweight....this looks so so good. Are you cooking tonight ;)

Macadamia The Nut said...

@safarai al
Oops! Those were your eyeballs? I thought they were fish eggs :( *hunts frantically inside the pot*

@kin'shar
Lol! 'course! Want me to set an extra place? :))

Anonymous said...

it thats a good one...seriously..

:D

Unknown said...

wow... seems scrumptous...
err... how do you make it in a microwave???

Macadamia The Nut said...

@geet
THANK you :D

@lalitha
Ummm, I'm afraid you can't make this in the mocrowave :(
Or if you can I seriously have no clue how
Lol!
Let me see if I can experiment, k?

Safari Al said...

You cook fish eggs???

Ugh...I hate seafood/marinefood

Just make lots of chocolates and stuff will you???

Filarial said...

aahaaa enga vereya ..aiyoo aiyooo

:D :D

I hate choclates and cookies can you post more stuff about how to cook fish and such other great delicious stuff pleassse?.. :D :D

Safari Al said...

Ha ha...

Macadamia The Nut said...

@safari al
Seafood ahoy! :D

@filarial
Unakku kobbu kurachu too much hai!

@safari al
:|

Safari Al said...

Let's call a truce and make maagi and egg???

Macadamia The Nut said...

@safari al
:O :O :O :O
GAG!!
GASP!
How do you unerringly choose the wrong things to say?
:D
I love maggie about as much as I love falling sick with jaundice on new year's eve. Not an egg person either. Heh heh!!!
EWCK!

Filarial said...

who is this truce??? ..:O :O

Macadamia The Nut said...

@filarial
:|
Go watch Bravo
Shoo

Friendly nextdoor guy said...

yummy
wait!! i'll call my mummy,
you sent jitters to my tummy

Safari Al said...

Hey...hey..watch it. Four years of living in a hostel in an engineering college eating in the mess is no joke. Maagi and egg used to be our solace in times of need and at two in the wee hours of dawn.

Agreed, not many like it, but maagi and boiled egg are the hardest to screw up. Even by brain-dead canteen and mess cooks.


But, I'll settle for coffee and biscuits, if you are so sentimental about this.

:)

See...I am a nice guy!

fren_ace said...

sweeeeeeeety..........
i like cookies it's yamy..
can we links our blog? feel free to visit my blog anytime...

Anonymous said...

I HATE YOU!

i ve a BIG URGE TO TRY THIS OUT

noh noh.. i m NOT your REGULAR READER.. NOT AT LEAST OT THIS BLOG...

i will put smething in my mind that BLOCKS these images OUTTA my head :-/

it looks delicious :(

Naj said...

Speaking of chocolate cakes, I got a recipe for a 5 min chocolate cake cooked in a microwave oven.

mail me on najlashaikh@gmail.com n ill fwd it to u

Parul said...

dude!
the picture is soooo tempting!

Filarial said...

Msc San how come no new posts?? vot ya??

Anonymous said...

hey sweets....ummm, yea.....sweets


I love this page

Anonymous said...

I came back because you havent sent me my invite.....


still waiting for my place....yeah set an extra place "JUST 4 ME"

jagadeesh said...

Coming back after a long time. Has the 'blog' moved out of here?? ;-)

Just kidding.

Nice recipe. Let me try if I can make some changes, and add some elements of 'torture' to this one.

Diet Plan said...

Nice collection of comments :). Nice blog i also like it.