Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thakkali (Tomato) Chutney


Hostel food used to be unbearable!! Its only saving grace was the “gunpowder” and tomato chutney which we were doled out in less than generous rations. Sigh.

But the nuns didn’t know they were dealing with hooligans here :D not mere kids.
Every night, after ‘lights out’, we used to sneak into the kitchen.
Loka was the gang leader of sorts for our gastronomic expeditions (where are you now Lux ??! I still have the coin. Can’t believe we’ve lost touch ! )

Err, I digress.

So, *ahem* we’d raid the kitchen, find the preserved chutney and snack on it with raw carrots and bread.

Well, yeah… desperation has peculiar taste buds me friends :D

Anyway, here’s my recipe for Tomato Chutney. I clung to this one after many failed permutations and combinations. :D You can save this for a week or two - if it lasts that long. It goes well with Rice, Roti, Bread… err, ditch the carrots though ;)


P.S. Next time I’ll post the gunpowder recipe…


You Will Need:

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds

1 teaspoon asafoetida powder

3 dry red chillies

1 cup curry leaves

10 ripe tomatoes, chopped

20 pods of garlic, finely chopped

A small piece of ginger, minced

2 teaspoons chilly powder

1/2 cup oil

Salt to taste


Method Of Preparation:

- Heat the oil

- Temper with mustard seeds

- When they begin to sputter add the fenugreek seeds and sauté for a 30 seconds in medium flame

- Add the red chillies, garlic, ginger and curry leaves and sauté for 6-7 minutes

- Next add the tomatoes and salt

- Cover and cook on a low flame for 10 minutes, stirring once in between

- Open the lid and add the asafoetida powder

- Cook uncovered until the oil starts to separate and the mixture begins to thicken

- Add the chilly powder and stir for 5 minutes

- Cool and refrigerate in air tight containers.

12 comments:

Rainman said...

One more package for Fedex, perhaps! ;-)

Ghost writer said...

hehe...totally agree with you on the hostel food thing ..i must admit your posts are every new cook's dream blog...keep posting :)

Macadamia The Nut said...

@Brat
First you send me the biryani :D

@ghostwriter
Thank youuu :D

Nefariousoutlook said...

tomato chutney!!! you have just reminded me of home lady!!!

mouthwatering to say the least..keep osting those recipies ;)

Anonymous said...

I am getting hungry!!!! :o)

Greetings from Italy/Argentina
Giorgio

Swapna said...

Gosh..ur comments take me back to Our hostel days...we had a Tomato rice which was the saving grace in the otherwise dismal menu...great blog

Shah cooks said...

my thakkali chutney is almost the same.. but i add tamarind too. hostel food.. i used to survive on my friend's puliyodharai chutney!!

Macadamia The Nut said...

@nefariousoutlook
;) We aim to please :D

@giorgio
Thanks for visiting :)

@swapna
Thank youuu :D

@mallu girl
Tamarind?? Really? Do you have the recipe on your site? That would be an interesting twist that I can try next time :P

Anonymous said...

Thank you for coming to my site.There is Translation of Google on the left of my site. If I do pull-down of a button and choose English, it is translated into English.

Satanic Angel said...

i loove gunpowder chutney..i mix it wit ghee and use it as a spread on chapatis...YUM!

Deepa said...

Hi! Happened to come by your blog. Great stuff. Your thakali chutney reminded me of my hostel days. There's a strange connection between hostelites and wierd tastebuds! In my hostel, the fav combination was pickle or tomato chutney spread on banana chips or bread!
The wierdest combo ive had is jalebi and spicy kerala fish curry! beat that???

Macadamia The Nut said...

@edamame
gotcha :D

@elusive
Oooh! Me too!! I can have it with almost anything! :D

@the scatterbrain
Arrrgh! No kidding!?!! LOL! Well I'll try it next time, and if that molests my taste buds I'm gonna get you. ;)