Saturday, March 29, 2008

Homemade Chocolate Fudge

My aunt makes these amazingly drool-worthy cakes and chocolates! I remember how, as kids, we used to wait for holidays just so that we could lay our hands on them.

Sigh!

Then many years later, my cousin Jolnah came home to spend the weekend with me. Now Jolnah is the 'choco-aunt’s' daughter. We were reminiscing about old times when she said she could make homemade chocolate that tasted as good as her moms.

Now, who was I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

I literally hustled her into the kitchen. There she proceeded to mix and stir and chop and heat. Until, at the end of her labored efforts we were rewarded with a warm, gooey, chocolaty mush.

She told me that it would take a few minutes to harden.
(I believed her :D) And so we waited. … And waited

Until finally, after 3 hours she suggested that MAYbe we should keep it under the fan instead.

So we did. And waited… and waited some more

When S and T came home we told them this was liquid chocolate… and they bought it, the silly things! :D

Anyway, we decided that the next morning it would’ve hardened... so there!

But on Day 2 – t’was the same old goo

Lol! I don’t remember what we did with the ‘remains’ but to this day I pull her leg about her famous ‘liquid’ chocolate.

Anyway, here’s one of my favorite recipes for homemade chocolate. Err, don’t worry… I won’t leave you holding on to chocolate goo this time… hopefully :D


You Will Need:

Milk powder – 2 cups

Cocoa powder – 10 level tbsp

Vanilla essence – 3 drops

Chopped almonds/cashew nuts – 3tbsp

Instant coffee powder – 4 level tsp

Sugar – 2 cups

Water – ½ cup

Unsalted butter – 8tbsp (chopped)

Method Of Preparation:

- Mix the milk powder, cocoa, coffee powder, vanilla essence and nuts in a dish

- Take a small flat dish/tray and grease it with 1/3tsp of butter

- In a separate pan, combine the sugar and water and heat it on high flame

- When it begins to boil, lower the heat to ‘medium’ until you get a ‘single string consistency’
* You will get this consistency 3 to 5 minutes after the sugar has completely dissolved. To check this stage just dip a spoon in the syrup and let it cool for few seconds. Take a drop of the syrup from the spoon with your fore finger tip. Press your fore finger tip your thumb and slowly bring the two fingers away from each other. The syrup drop should form a thin thread between your fingers.*

- Add the butter, stir for a minute and switch off.

- Immediately add the rest of the ingredients and blend well

- Pour into the greased tray and cut into small squares after 5 minutes.

4 comments:

Friendly nextdoor guy said...

wow
im loving it
will try it when i go back home

Macadamia The Nut said...

@cooking
:D

@friendly nextdoor guy
Thanks

Deepa said...

My mother has a similar recipe for chocolate fudge. She goes for a 2 thread consistancy. This makes the chocolate harden quicker.

Macadamia The Nut said...

@the scatterbrain
I'm not a fan of the harder toffees :d I like my nicely squishy :D
But yeah, I know many who like the harder ones.